Location: Métis Crossing (Smoky Lake, AB)
Closing Date: April 5, 2019
Position Status: Full Time, Seasonal (40 hrs per week)
Métis Crossing is the first major Métis cultural interpretive center in Alberta. Métis Crossing endeavours to preserve, strengthen, and promote the cultural heritage of Alberta's Métis people. Reflective of our communities and cultural landscapes, programming is based on research, collection, and presentation of Métis traditions, lifeways, and cultural artifacts. We strive to incorporate a continuum of Métis achievement, both historical and contemporary.
Métis Crossing seeks applicants for the position of “Site Guide, Interpreter.” The successful applicants will implement programs described above. They will be responsible to engage, educate, and entertain visitors at Métis Crossing.
- Conduct various programs that serve diverse visitor groups.
- Provide exceptional customer service to patrons of Métis Crossing and its programs.
- Assist in the daily operations of Métis Crossing.
- Assist with the ongoing maintenance of Métis Crossing.
Skills & Competencies
- Strong oral communication skills.
- Enrolled in educational program.
- Demonstrated ability to listen to public and be responsive to inquiries and comments.
- Experience working with diverse audiences of varying cultural backgrounds, ages and abilities.
- Ability to master and apply a wide variety of interpretive techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to present program information and facilitate program activities.
- Demonstrated ability to speak in front of large groups.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
- Flexibility to adjust to changes in schedule and assignments.
- Post-secondary education in history, tourism, education, native studies or related field.
- Experience leading groups.
- Experience in teaching, museum interpretation, theatrical performance or storytelling.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Knowledge of Métis arts and crafts.
- Knowledge of Alberta history and cultural diversity.
- Knowledge of Alberta Métis.
17339 Victoria Trail, Smoky Lake, AB
- Schedule will be based on a 40 hours work week (4 x 10 hours/day), and will include weekdays, weekends, and holidays.
- Site Guide, Interpreters will be hired for two time frames:
- May – September
- July - August
The Métis Nation of Alberta thanks all applicants for their interest. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.